Are you a leader who is passionate about restoring grassland habitat across Ontario? Now is your chance to take your career to the next level as the Grasslands Program Specialist at Forests Ontario.
Job Title: Grasslands Program Specialist
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time, Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week
Location: 15 Maple Ave Unit #103 Barrie, Ontario
Job Status: In office and in the field with some opportunity to work from home
Reports to: Director of Restoration Programs
Salary: $45,000 – $60,000, based on skills and experience
Compensation: Vacation, sick and personal days, health and dental benefits, and options for RRSP contributions
The Grasslands Program Specialist will primarily support restoration programming, focusing on the Grassland Stewardship Initiative. As the specialist, you will engage with internal and extension staff, contractors, and delivery partners to implement the grassland restoration program throughout Ontario. You will also communicate with a large network of private landowners, government representatives, and conservation professionals as you work to support the Grassland Stewardship Initiative by providing a high degree of customer service. The Grassland Program Specialist will also be heavily involved in all aspects of the Grassland Stewardship Initiative (GSI) program, supporting the creation, maintenance, and enhancement of GSI projects, including budgets, partner payments, and other program accounting tasks.
This position reports to the Director of Restoration Programs.
About Forest Ontario
Forest Ontario is a not-for-profit dedicated to the creation, preservation, and maintenance of forests and grasslands. Our ambitious, large-scale tree planting programs, extensive education resources, and decades of community outreach result in millions of trees being planted each year. Together with our national division, Forest Recovery Canada, we are the trusted authority for those seeking to invest in the growth and future of our forests and the health of our communities. Learn more at forestsontario.ca
- Handle the development, management, and coordination of the Grassland Stewardship Initiative
- Develop, manage, and coordinate all aspects of program budgets, partner payments, and other program accounting tasks
- Develop and manage partner agreements as well as government, sponsorship, and other grant contract/agreements
- Build new partnerships and engage with a large network of restoration partners, technical experts, landowners and program participants, funding partners, and government agencies
- Manage the collection, coordination, and management of program and partner data utilising online data reporting systems
- Assist with the development and delivery of capacity building events and workshops that are both virtual and in-person
- Connecting interested landowners with restoration professionals in their region and coordinating a network of grasslands professionals and experts throughout Ontario
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 1 years of relevant experience, preferably experience in the nonprofit and/or grassland habitat restoration sector
- Field experience in grassland habitat restoration
- A relevant degree or diploma (Restoration/Environmental Science) with experience working in the non-profit and/or restoration sector
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong decision-making abilities, including strong presentation, organisational, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and to a deadline
- Experience in the MS Office suite, database applications, online meeting platforms (Teams, Zoom, WebEx)
Nice to Haves
- Familiarity with agricultural Best Management Practices
- Experience in the management and/or coordination of program budgets including budget development, invoicing, payment tracking and coordination, reporting to stakeholders and funding sources, and preparing for audits
- Experience working with and providing customer service to a wide range of individuals and organisations including landowners and members of the public, partners and partner organisations, funding sources, and/or government agencies
- An understanding of the environment, habitat restoration, resource management, and a demonstrated commitment to a healthy environment
How to Apply
Are you ready to make a difference and chart an exciting new career path? Please send your resume to email@example.com and title the email “Grasslands.” We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.