Are you a consensus builder? Do you enjoy working with diverse stakeholders? Are you interested in moving Canada towards Net Zero? Now is your chance to take your career to the next level as the Director of Generation for Electricity Canada.
Job Title: Director of Generation
Location: 275 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario
Job Type: Permanent & Full-Time
Job Status: Hybrid (in office 2 days per week)
Reports to: Vice President, Government Relations
Salary: $90,000 to $100,00 plus you earn up to a 20% bonus on your base salary
Compensation: 4 weeks holidays. 7% pension matching. Health & dental insurance
Reporting to the Vice President, Government Relations and working closely with Electricity Canada’s Generation Council, the Director of Generation will lead the association’s policy work that affects the production of electricity in Canada. They will work with members to develop policing positions to facilitate a federal policy and regulatory regime that supports the faster deployment of new electricity generation. This will include working with members on issues around the federal approvals process approvals, environmental regulations, carbon pricing, and funding support.
They will connect policy with advocacy, working with the government relations team to advocate for these changes. They will work with the broader Electricity Canada team to ensure that Canada’s electricity grid remains affordable and reliable as it grows to meet the demands of electrification.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience working with public policy and industry stakeholders. They will be an excellent written and oral communicator and know how to articulate ideas to a variety of audiences. They will use data and research to build comprehensive policy positions. They will be able to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in government. The candidate must be organised, efficient and independent. Electricity Canada objectives. Candidates able to communicate in both English and French are preferred.
About Electricity Canada
Founded in 1891, Electricity Canada (formerly the Canadian Electricity Association) is the national forum and voice of the evolving and innovative electricity business in Canada. The Association supports, through its advocacy efforts, the regional, national, and international success of its members.
Electricity Canada is the voice for safe, secure, and sustainable electricity. Working together, Canadian electricity utilities and companies that provide products and services to the electricity sector ensure Canadian electricity is some of the cleanest in the world. Electricity Canada’s corporate values are the following: we value our Members, our Team, Excellence, Leadership, and Innovation.
- Work to reduce the cumulative regulatory impact of current and proposed government policies, to reduce overall costs of compliance while accelerating the sector’s ability to meet customers’ evolving energy needs
- Advocates for government policies that facilitate the deployment of affordable and reliable new electricity generation
- Works with Electricity Canada’s Councils and Committees to advocate for sector interests on key federal legislation and regulations, including:
- Impact Assessment Act (IAA)
- Canadian Energy Regulator (CER)
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA)
- Greenhouse Gas Pricing Act
- Fisheries Act
- Migratory Birds Convention Act (MBCA)
- Work with Electricity Canada’s Security committee to help protect the sector’s physical and cyber resiliency
- University degree in and/or equivalent experience in a comparable field.
- Minimum 10 years experience working in government, industry or a trade association.
- Strong understanding of Canada’s Energy System or demonstrable experience with a related industrial sector
- Strong communicator
- Ability to work independently
- Organised and detail-oriented
- No restrictions on lobbying under The Lobbying Act
- French/English bilingualism is considered a strong asset
Equal Opportunity Employer
Do you not meet every single requirement, but still think you are a good fit? At Electricity Canada we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Electricity Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maintaining inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted in relation to this or any other job opportunity or testing, please advise a representative in a timely manner of the accommodation measures which are required in order to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. All information received relating to accommodation measures will remain confidential. Please note that we will not automatically consult accommodation requests from prior selection processes.
How to Apply
Are you ready to make a difference and chart an exciting new career path? Please send your CV to email@example.com and title the email “Electricity Canada.” We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for an interviewing process will be contacted.