Community Engagement Specialist – Rexdale
Company: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto
Recruiting Company: HRCovered Inc.
Job Title: Community Engagement Specialist – Rexdale Area
Job type: Permanent, Full-Time (Hybrid role but mostly out in the community)
Compensation: $55,000 annual salary
Do you have roots in the neighbourhood of Rexdale, Toronto Ontario? OR do you feel you have the skill-set to make new connections in the community?
Are you ready to add purpose to your profession and make a difference by working with a renowned nonprofit? Then Read on!
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto (BBBST) has been helping Canadian children and youth find positive perspectives and reach their full potential for over 100 years.
They seek a dynamic and self-motivated Community Engagement Specialist to join them and support them.
As the Community Engagement Specialist, you will recruit volunteers to reduce the significant number of children waiting to be matched with a mentor. This role will also build partnerships with organisations that will refer children to our programs.
This position works out of two locations: Primarily Rexdale ( which you will be involved in helping to find space) and out of their main office at Yonge and Eglinton (weekly meetings). However the majority of your days will be spent out in the community of Rexdale increasing awareness of BBBS to families needing support and recruiting volunteers to join the organization.
What you’ll do at BBBST:
Minimum Deliverables each year: Recruit a minimum of 100 new adult volunteers each year, resulting in accepting 70 each year from that group. Generate at least 50 referrals of families and children/youth from the community in Rexdale. You’ll also:
- Help BBBS find a working location in Rexdale to set up an office.
- Build and maintain solid, trusting relationships cross-functionally within BBBST.
- Be a visible and dynamic ambassador for BBBST in the communities that they have prioritised in Toronto.
- Develop and steward relevant community relationships for recruitment and referrals.
- Engage in a variety of networking activities in the prioritised communities to promote a volunteer recruitment campaign.
- Develop and implement action plans with strategies to increase awareness of our need for volunteers and opportunities for children/youth.
- Assist in the development of recruitment campaign messaging to produce and distribute print and digital assets.
- Facilitate information sessions for prospective volunteers and work with BBBST team to facilitate other pre-match training and onboarding activities.
- Organize, coordinate, and participate in volunteer recruitment fairs and promotion opportunities. This includes opportunities at post-secondary institutions and with other community partners.
- Coordinate space rentals for info sessions.
- Build relationships with referral Partners to encourage referrals of volunteers and children.
- Collaborate with the existing enrollment team to conduct intake and assessment interviews as required.
- Abide by Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Canada National Standards as required.
- Attend agency events, and be an ambassador for BBBST as requested.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to the privacy statement as set out in the Policies and Procedures at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto.
- A post-secondary diploma or degree in a related field (social or human services, child and youth work, family studies, etc.). BSW preferred.
- Minimum 3 years experience working with children, youth and/or families.
- Experience recruiting volunteers is helpful!
- Experience working in a culturally diverse setting
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Preference for candidates that live or have lived/worked in Rexdale and have an established network in the community
- Want someone who can relate to diversity or is a newcomer to the neighbourhood
- Knowledge of community development/connections is an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weeknights and some weekends, as required
- This position requires in-office work and occasional travel within the community being served.
- Having a car will be beneficial.
- Roots in the Rexdale community will be beneficial
- Successful Police Clearance and Vulnerable Sector Screening
Does this sound like you?
- You want this job for the right reasons
- You can find creative ways to recruit volunteers
- You are motivated and task-oriented
- You are outgoing and independent
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and can build partnerships
- You have strong organisational skills
Why Join BBBST:
- Put your strengths to work in a heart-centred nonprofit
- Great work culture with strong values
- Work with a young and dynamic team
- Social wellness committee to make sure culture is good
- Impact families and kids positively
- Have a life-lasting positive impact on children
- Feel good about your work and make a direct impact every day
- Flexible work-life policy
- 3 weeks of paid vacation
- 12 paid sick days/year
- The office is closed between Christmas and New Year
- Summer hours – half-day Fridays and closed the Friday before all long weekends in 2022.
- Health Benefits – we have a very comprehensive plan that we pay the premium 100%. Eligible after 90 days of probation
- RRSP – eligible after one year of service. We match the employee’s RRSP contribution to a maximum of 4% of their salary
Are you ready to make a difference and chart an exciting new career path?
APPLY NOW: Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before September 30th, 2022.