Position: Certification Officer
Department/Team: Certification and Technology Services
Manager/Supervisor: Manager, Certification
Location: Remote (Home Office)
Term of Work: Permanent, Full Time
The Certification Officer conducts CSGA’s core work to determine the pedigreed status of seed crops produced in Canada and acts as the soft interface between CSGA’s regulatory tools and stakeholders.
The Canadian Seed Growers’ Association provides leadership as the only Canadian organization to monitor and certify pedigreed seed for all agricultural crops in Canada except potatoes.
Appraises and processes documentation to ensure compliance with CSGA regulatory requirements for seed crop certification:
- Appraises seed crop inspection applications and reports to ensure compliance with CSGA regulatory requirements
- Processes additional certification requirement forms to ensure compliance with CSGA and variety-specific requirements
- Processes land use verification requests from seed growers to determine eligibility for intended use prior to planting
- Assesses probation plot applications for seed growers seeking to begin probation
Provides advice to all stakeholders as an expert on CSGA’s core business and tools.
- Responds to inquiries and provides regulatory and practical advice
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses certification and complex technological issues
- Communicates in a professional manner
- Makes recommendations to address systemic or emerging issues
Develops and delivers training and support materials
- Participates in the development and delivery of annual training and update materials for inspectors and CFIA staff
- Develops and updates materials for CSGA staff
- Identifies stakeholder knowledge gaps and develops corrective materials
Helps Maintain CSGA’s variety database
- Processes Variety Registration Notifications issued by CFIA
- Updates information in the variety module (database) on all varieties produced or used in Canada
Develops and recommends policy and standards updates:
- Identifies, evaluates, and analyzes new and ongoing issues affecting seed crop production
- Makes recommendations to address systemic or emerging issues, where found
- Experience using computer applications and databases
- Experience analyzing and interpreting written material and data to make decisions
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to establish priorities and manage multiple activities to meet tight deadlines
- Capable of initiating ideas, making presentations, and explaining complex issues in a concise manner
Options to work either remotely or from the office periodically.
Bachelor of Science (in Agriculture and crop science related field) + 3 years’ experience in related position or domain.
- CSGA specific softwares
- Collaboration tools
- Microsoft platform
Background knowledge in plant biology, genetics, and agronomy.
Good knowledge of crop production, farm management and agribusiness practices would be an absolute plus in this position (Professional Agronomist or Agrology certification or Agr. In Quebec)
Fluency in English, oral and written, is required. Fluency in French is an asset.
In order to apply, please send your resumes to email@example.com before 15th April 2022.